[FoME] Invitation| June 13-14 | ECPMF Conference I Defending the truth in a post-truth era”

Katharina Mikulcak mikulcak at ecpmf.eu
Mo Mai 22 11:41:09 CEST 2017

Invitation | ECPMF Conference
„Defending the truth in a post-truth era” | June 13-14, 2017

Dear media freedom supporters,

Do we say goodbye to facts? If this is the case: what are we dealing with then? Our society needs proper communications. If anyone can win an election by distributing “fake news”, democracy is in danger.

Already media freedom is at risk. All over Europe, journalists get intimidated, threatened and attacked just because they are doing their job: discovering the truth. In Germany alone, at least 19 media workers were attacked in the past year. You can read about this in our latest research report "The concept of the enemy II“.

We want - and we still have to talk about these developments.

We therefore cordially invite you for an exchange at our upcoming conference:

„Defending the Truth in a Post-Truth Era“
Tuesday, 13 June, 2 pm – 8 pm
Wednesday, 14 June, 9.30 am – 1pm
Ringcafé, Roßplatz 8, 04103 Leipzig, Germany

International experts present case studies how to combat and deal with „fake news“  - from forged war pictures from Syria to the creation of myths in the French election campaign. We introduce „elves“ from Lithuania who prevent „trolls“ from disseminating propaganda and smear campaigns in (social) media. And we introduce fact-checking tools for the verification of sources and pictures.

We warmly invite you to participate in the conference and get actively involved in exchanging best practices.

Come to Leipzig and join the discussion!

Dr. Lutz Kinkel

ECPMF Managing Director

IMPORTANT NOTES:

* The conference is free of charge. Please confirm your participation until June 5 via email to conference at ecpmf.eu.
* If you are traveling from outside Leipzig, we recommend early bookings as the hotels in Leipzig are already busy during this period. If you need hotel or travel recommendations please get back to us or search individually at the Leipzig Tourism Board's hotel search engine (http://www.leipzig.travel/en/Home_110.html) . (http://www.leipzig.travel/en/Home_110.html)
* For more information and details on the programme, please visit the event website (https://ecpmf.eu/events/defending-the-truth-in-a-post-truth-era) .
* Please keep checking the conference website and the Facebook event (https://www.facebook.com/events/430564520656568/) .
* The conference language is English.

Feel free to share this information with all your networks. Thank you and see you soon!

** (https://twitter.com/ECPMF)
** (https://www.facebook.com/ECPMF/)
** (https://www.ecpmf.eu)

The European Centre for Press and Media Freedom (ECPMF) unites journalists associations, publishing houses, academic institutions, trade unions and media rights experts to achieve the application of the European Charter on Freedom of the Press throughout Europe. Founded in 2015, it is registered as a European Cooperative Society and headquartered in Leipzig, with members/partners/supporters in 16 countries. The ECPMF provides news, analyses and tools on media freedom issues, coordinates its member organisations' activities and helps individual journalists under threat, for example through a residence programme and petitions.

The ECPMF is supported by:
European Commission (http://ec.europa.eu/index_en.htm)
Media Foundation of Sparkasse Leipzig (http://www.leipziger-medienstiftung.de/?lang=en)
Free State of Saxony (http://www.sachsen.de/en/index.html)
City of Leipzig (http://english.leipzig.de)

Copyright © 2017 European Centre for Press and Media Freedom, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
European Centre for Press and Media Freedom
Menckestraße 27
Leipzig 04155
Germany
Phone: +49 341 200 403 13
E-Mail: ** info at ecpmf.eu (mailto:info at ecpmf.eu)

Cooperative register of the District Court Leipzig: GnR 534

Executive Board:
Henrik Kaufholz (Chair), Hans-Ulrich Jörges (Vice Chair),
Galina Arapova, Mogens Blicher Bjerregård,
Christoph Keese, Stephan Seeger, Ljiljana Smailovic, Dr Dirk Voorhoof

Chair of Supervisory Board:
Balazs Nagy Navarro

Managing Director:
Dr Lutz Kinkel