[FoME] Afrikanische Union + Europäische Kommission: Medien und Entwicklung

Christoph Dietz christoph.dietz at CAMECO.ORG
Mo Jun 30 18:22:28 CEST 2008

MEDIA & Development Forum in Ouagadougou on 11, 12 and 13 September
2008

http://media-dev.eu/website.php?rub=accueil&lang=en

The media are an essential element in making the world intelligible,
bringing information, and knowledge, developing a critical sense and,
above all, in bringing about the democracy necessary for more rapid and
sustainable development. This is why, as part of our joint EU-AU
strategic partnership UE-UA formed at the Europe-Africa summit in Lisbon
(December 2007), we felt it important to initiate a joint reflection
between the Commission of the African Union and Commission of the
European Union on the theme of « MEDIA and Development ».

The « MEDIA and Development » Forum to be held in Ouagadougou, Burkina
Faso, from 11 to 13 September 2008 is to be the first step in a new
process of analysis and proposals on this subject. Our ambition is to
move reflection forwards, to share best practices, ideas and,
particularly, to identify concrete proposals that can be achieved in the
short and medium term. What legal steps, regulations, funding, training
and actions are needed for progress along the road to development on the
part of our northern or southern societies via the media? By bringing
together academics and professional journalists, as well as
representatives of civil society and political decision-makers, we are
also keen to show that together, Africa and Europe are looking at the
problems that confront them this century and are seeking common
solutions. We are in no doubt that this Forum will enable us to launch a
movement on the subject of « MEDIA and Development » equal to the
partnership we wish to build for Europe and Africa : a common vision of
the future and development towards a society of shared progress.

Louis Michel, European Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian
Aid
Jean Ping, African Union Commission Chairperson

Programme

Friday 12 September

08:30 - 09:30  :  Registration/coffee
09:30 - 12:30  :  Opening plenary session of the Forum, with:
●   Blaise Compaoré*, President of the Republic of Burkina Faso.
●   Louis Michel, European Commissioner for Development and
Humanitarian Aid.
●   Jakaya Morisho Kikwete*, President of the African Union,
President of Tanzania.
12:30 - 14:00  :  Lunch
14:00 - 15:00  :  Framework plenary session and presentation of themes

15:00 - 17:00  :  Parallel round table sessions
●   Round table 1.   Media & good governance: where is the link?
●   Round table 2.   Press freedom: legal framework and the situation
in the field
17:30 - 18:30  :  Feedback plenary session