[FoME] Democratic Public Sphere Program of the Social Science Research Council

Christoph Dietz christoph.dietz at CAMECO.ORG
Mo Mär 27 09:40:40 CEST 2006

Von der Mailingliste "WSIS CS-Plenary " (World Summit on the Information Society - Civil Society Plenary), 24.3.2006:

Hi all,
As colleagues of mine working in relevant fields, I wanted to give
you all a heads up on the new project I'm working on related to media
reform and democracy.

The Social Science Research Council (http://www.ssrc.org), a
distinguished non-profit that supports social science research in the
public interest, has hired me as the program coordinator of their
"Necessary Knowledge for a Democratic Public Sphere" program (http://
www.ssrc.org/programs/media/ ).

My job will be to help bring together media reform advocates with
media researchers so they can collaborate more effectively together.
There is apparently a huge need for better coordination and
communication among activists and academics in the field of media
reform.  Our main mechanism for facilitating this will be the launch
next month of an online "Media Research Hub" that will support a
broad community of media reform actors with various tools for
collaboration and information sharing.

It's a rather dramatic departure from my United Nations portfolio of
the past 10 years or so. But I will remain engaged with international
public policy issues, which is wonderful.  And I will get to work on
cutting-edge stuff like the effect of the blogosphere on traditional
media, broadband access to underserved areas, community wifi, low
power FM, and lots of other cool new media areas.

The good news is that we have the funding to support various
activities such as sponsoring targeted research, supporting interns,
and organizing physical meetings to link key actors.  But as a first
step we are going to want to make sure that we are linking to the
most relevant and active networks of media reform activists and
academics. If you have suggestions for networks and coalitions that I
should plug into, particularly outside of the US, that would be
really helpful.

(Note that my new work contact details are below.)

Regards and Do Stay in Touch,

Rik

Rik Panganiban
Program Coordinator
Necessary Knowledge for a Democratic Public Sphere
Social Science Research Council
810 Seventh Avenue, 31st Floor
New York NY 10019
PH: 212.377.2700 x 644