Strings and Literals?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at arbtt.open.source.it
Sun Jul 2 11:50:19 CEST 2017

Hi.

Right at the bottom of
https://arbtt.nomeata.de/doc/users_guide/configuration.html is stated:

"A String refers to a double-quoted string of characters, while a Literal is
not quoted."

Just above that in the "formal grammar of categorize.cfg" table
https://arbtt.nomeata.de/doc/users_guide/configuration.html#grammar is stated:

[3]  Alias  ::=  Literal “->” Literal

So, this tells me that an Alias is an unquoted string, followed by the string
"->", followed by another unquoted string.

However, the examples at the top of the same page show quote marks around the
aliases (and their equivalents), and sure enough if I leave the quotes out in
my own config file, I get:

Parser error:
"morerules.cfg" (line 4, column 3):
unexpected "L"
expecting literal string

(Which then goes on to make me wonder "is a literal string a literal, or a
string?")

Am I reading the formal grammer wrongly?

Antony.

--
Success is a lousy teacher.  It seduces smart people into thinking they can't
lose.

 - William H Gates III

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.